Friday, June 6, 2014

There it was, again...

I was going to the bathroom (yes, I was... I have to be accurate in telling the story) and in walks Raja (in telling an accurate story, please note that my time is no longer my own - no matter what someone is around no matter what I am doing - furry or 2 legged children).

I took a moment to truly stop and look into her eyes.

And there it was, again.

It has hit me before with my last Rottie, Ursa... and with Raja on several occasions.  But, inevitably it leaves and there are lapses in time where I forget, again.  And I need a reminder.  In a big way.

Well, there she was.  Staring at me with her big brown eyes, her ears back.  All she wanted was for me to stop for a moment to pet her and love her.  She didn't care what I was doing, that I was in the bathroom, what I was wearing or what I looked like.  She doesn't even see any of that; she sees me beneath it.  I could be painted purple, wearing some hideous outfit, and smell really, really awful.  And it would make no difference whatsoever (if that's not heart warming, I don't know what is).

It occurred to me at that very moment that Raja, as an example, knows no other kind of love than true and unconditional love.

  • I could be having an awful day, cranky and ugly in temperament:  she wouldn't care and she would still be there.  She would still wag her butt and stub for a tail, happy, every single time she saw me, even if I was only gone a few moments.  And she would still want me to share my love with her, petting her and being with her.
  • I could ignore her the whole day and leave her by herself:  she wouldn't care and she would still be there. 
  • I could yell at her for walking under my feet or being in my way on an irritable day: she wouldn't care and she would still be there. 
  • I could withhold her food, treats, toys - anything she enjoys or needs: she wouldn't care and she would still be there. 
  • I could be crying, whispering, speaking another language: she wouldn't care and she would still be there. 
I think you get the point... I can do any number of things, including heinous acts (not that I would), but she wouldn't care and she would still be there.  

It's amazing, actually.  To think about that level of love, free from conditions.  Freedom from the "ego."  Freedom from the victim role, insecurities and self limiting beliefs.  

Total freedom and a full, divine expression of love.  

I am so very humbled by my bathroom visitor.

And so grateful for the reminder of a love to strive for.

No comments:

Post a Comment