Saturday, October 5, 2013

"To the Wonder" Movie Op

"To the Wonder" 2012



The description of the movie states: After falling in love in Paris, Marina and Neil come to Oklahoma, where problems arise. Their church's Spanish-born pastor struggles with his faith, while Neil encounters a woman from his childhood.
I will admit, I had a very difficult time following what was going on as the movie is partially silent, narrated by the voices of the characters in it, speaking briefly and deeply. Despite my confusion of what was happening, there was something very real and very raw about the emotions portrayed in this movie.
The movie itself bared resemblance to "The New World" (2005) by way of the character narration.  The soft spoken words that rose up from the depths of their being.  I happened to love "The New World," so I took a liking to this movie, also.  And for the same reasons.
One of the main characters in "To the Wonder" was a French woman. She had a daughter. The two of them (but mostly the woman) were so playful. She walked barefoot in the grass. She danced around wherever she was going.  She was passionate in expressing her love and joy and equally as much so in her anger. There was something so natural about her, childlike. 
Though the tone of the movie was one of despair and broken love, it inspired me.  She inspired me.  I think of myself as someone who is always working towards being the best version of myself.  To be open, loving and grateful always.  Yet, watching this movie made me realize just how little I play.  In my quest to live fully, I forgot to sprinkle in the part where I actually play and live.
To the same degree, the natural and innocent ways of the main character in "The New World," Pocahontas, inspired me to live more naturally... to be in harmony with myself, and nature and the world - to realize we are all one.  The movie was peaceful, slow.  It made me understand just how far we have come as a culture, how fast-paced our lives are, how much we miss along the way.  
Both movies made me stop dead in my tracks and reflect upon my own life... and our lives as a collective whole. My passion and commitment to living fully, connecting back to nature and our own naturalness, and expressing authenticity in every form it comes (including being playful) was reignited.
If you have some time, and want to connect to the deeper parts of a character's spirit, I suggest these two movies.  Happy viewing. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment